Saturday, October 17, 2020

Tribute



 I've always admired (at least to some degree) the principle of abstract art. In my own personal 
interpretation, I believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Blogging for me is a similar art.  We can get lost in the day to day, which I believe is a life well spent, but once in a while we as humans are touched deeper than other times, and in my case, I love to write about it.

This one of those times.

Tonight I finished the first of what will be several commentaries of an individual who God used to forever change my life.  I've spoken about Dr. Osborne in previous blog posts so for the sake of brevity, I'll not repeat them here.  Suffice it to say, God has used that one class to change my perspective of Him and the Christian walk, for which I am eternally grateful.

Before he passed away in 2018, Dr. Osborne was working on a series of commentaries.  In the link below, he talks about writing a commentary set for the layman, such as I.  And while it does not appear he finished the project as he may have set out to do, we are left with what I consider a series of masterpieces for students such as us who want a deeper knowledge of God's word without being overwhelmed by academic content.

Over the next few weeks, I will finish our study in James, which began in early May I believe.  Yes, it is a small book but when I teach a book, I like to get as much out of it as I can.  Like eating a well broiled lobster dipped in garlic butter, I love to savor each bite of the book we're studying.  While there is always more study I can do, I thoroughly enjoyed his commentary in the book of James.  It was easy to read, with church history woven through the text, yet no so much as to get lost.

I never cease to be amazed at the power of a teacher in a class.  I've watched this video several times and while I know he is in a much better place with His Savior, I can not help but wonder the scores of individuals whose minds were expanded, and thoughts introduced by his work.  I carry very fond memories of that class, and am sure there are many others who share the same.

I loved his commentary in James and am already eyeing my next purchase - practically, I think I'll go to Ephesians, but I can not wait until Revelation . . . .

https://lexhampress.com/osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Light Reading

  This is my view as of 3 am this morning :)  And to say I am enjoying it would be an understatement. I shouldn't be here, where I am in...