Friday, August 9, 2019

Well that didn't take long . . . .


It was much harder last time around.  Seven months of no work takes its toll.

When ASG closed down, it was very hard professionally.  I struggled trying to find my way.  The last couple of years were both rewarding and challenging.  Professionally, I've worked a miracle or two (with the help of others), and overcome some really tough times.

Realizing things were coming to an end, I hit the internet to see what was needed for the next stage.  I came across an article which mentioned the leading skill needed in today's job market (which is very competitive if you've not noticed). 

The skill? Resilience.  That's right - resilience.  Not a computer programming skill - not a fad, or the latest gimmick/shortcut.

Resilience.

Having played PVP in Warcraft, I was familiar with the concept.  You get knocked down, you get back up, and every time you are knocked down, you get back up.  Easy? Never.  But to survive in today's job market, you need resilience.

So I applied. and applied. and applied.

You want rejection?  Change jobs.  You want even more rejection?  Change professions, even industries.

My wife probably thought I was crazy.  But I remembered that internet article.  Perseverance and resiliency.

I brushed off the first one hundred rejections.  I'd been here before.  So one hundred wasn't bad.

Couple of calls.  I'd get excited but not too excited because I knew what to expect.  Then I hit two hundred applications.  Again, no problem.  "Familiar territory" I said.

Then I hit three hundred.  I changed my resume.  Even paid someone almost $200 to update it, to show my skill set in a way I couldn't. Still nothing.  I began to question, even began to lose a little faith.

I knew what many were thinking.  They saw the multiple positions in different industries.  Several couldn't believe I didn't want to be a GM again - "are you sure you want to make that leap?" one said. Even when I said yes, they struggled to believe.

But I knew what I needed.  M-F, 8-5. One that wouldn't call me at 4 am when the machine breaks, or wouldn't text me saying they couldn't come to work, and I'd work two-three positions at once.  One where we were losing good people left and right because they couldn't afford to work with us anymore.

Don't get me wrong.  My current employer is a good company to work for.  But after the sale, it just wasn't the same anymore.  More so when I had to move.

Then I hit four hundred applications and more rejections.  I emailed the guy I'd paid and said I'd made a mistake.  I lost hope. How do I fix?

Resilience.  I held on with my fingertips but I could feel it slipping.  Looking up at the heavens I squinted and wondered if God had forgotten something.  Or better yet, someone.

But as they say, it's always darkest before the dawn.  I went to sleep that night restless, a little depressed. I was still employed, but how much longer would I last?

Out of all those applications, 30 contacts. multiple phone interviews.  Yet only THREE face to face interviews.

But it only takes one . . .

At 8 a.m. the next morning a phone call comes.  we talk, the one not wanting to waste the other's time.  It goes better than either of us expected, and an interview is set up for that Monday.  Which is then rescheduled when my morning manager quits. Sigh.

Smelling like food and shortening, I rush to the interview the next day completely overdressed.  Again we talk, this time for 2.5 hours.  No promises are made, and it's clear there are others they are interviewing.  But in that conversation, I met an individual who I respected.  And if given the opportunity, could really learn from.  We finished at if he calls, it's a go.  If I get an email, thanks for applying but . . . . .

Hopes are raised, then tempered.  Again, I've walked the road before.  Resilience. Patience. Perseverance. 10 days pass.  Then, on an off day with the family, I get that call at 8 am.  Still, more hurdles to overcome.

Checks are made and passed.  Today, I received the final approval.

And I believe I'm one of the the lucky ones.  My interviewer is really good, you see.  He was able to not just see titles, but job skills, transferable skills at that.  He said things to me during that interview, that even though I'd just met him, almost believed he'd known me for some time.  I'm not often impressed in an interview, but i was in a bit of awe.

And now, here I am. Happy, elated for the new opportunity. Nostalgic of course. Customers I've gotten to know. Friendships made, lessons taught and learned, memories of great times together.  People who I love and care about, I now must leave in the hands of others. Sadness at the thought of passing the torch, and of friends moving on and away.

To each and every one of you - thank you.  I can not put into words what you've meant to me.

I pause, soaking in the reality of the moment.  I breath a sigh of relief.  A job well done, even if not everyone sees it.  But it was extremely hard, almost took too much out of me.

And now, a new challenge.  One with many promises, a brighter future it seems.

Onward it is . . .





No comments:

Post a Comment

Light Reading

  This is my view as of 3 am this morning :)  And to say I am enjoying it would be an understatement. I shouldn't be here, where I am in...